This dish of crispy chunks of chicken breast in tempura and stir-fried in a wonderful and tender sweet and sour sauce. Excellent combination of Japanese rice wine - sake with rice vinegar and honey - a combination that always works together!
- Chicken Breast - 1 Full - with no bones or extra fat
- Cornflour - 1/2 Cup
- White Flour - 1/2 Cup
- Baking Powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Water - 1/2 Cup
- Salt - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Sweet Paprika - 1 Tablespoon
- Crushed Chili - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Egg - 1
- Egg Protein - 1
- For the frying!
- Canola Oil
- For the sauce!
- Canola Oil - A small amount
- Crushed Garlic - 4 Cloves
- Honey - 4 Tablespoons
- Sake - Japanese rice wine - 2 tablespoons
- Rice Vinegar - 2 Tablespoons
- Lemon Juice - From 1/2 a lemon
- Water - 1/2 Cup
- Salt - As Needed
- Cornflour - 1 Full Tablespoon
- Water - 1 1/2 Tablespoon - Warm
- Sesame - Optional
- Cut the chicken breasts into coarse cubes (2 cm).
- Mix all the ingredients of the tempura - and beat with a whisk.
- If the tempura is too thin - add half a tablespoon of flour and half a tablespoon of cornstarch and mix (texture should be thick and dripping).
- Put the chicken breasts in the mix and (with your hands!) make sure all the chicken is com[pletely coated.
- Wrap in plastic wrap - and refrigerate for at least an hour - up to 24 hours.
- Heat canola oil for the deep frying stage.
- When the oil is boiling - Put the batter-coated chicken pieces into groups and fry until golden brown - and then place them on the paper towels.
- In a small bowl, mix the crushed garlic, salt, honey, sake, rice vinegar, lemon juice and half a cup of water - until the honey dissolves and everything is united.
- Using another small bowl, mix cornstarch with the water until dissolution occurs.
- In a large pan (if you have a wok, it would be better) Heat canola oil.
- When the oil is hot - pour in the sauce and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling lower heat to a medium level and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the dissolved cornstarch - and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Add in the coated diced chicken - Toss and stir until they are coated with sauce.
Pour sesame seeds and toss again until all the pieces are coated with sesame seeds.
That’s it! Enjoy!
Serve over rice or Chinese rice or sweet rice.