Chicken with chickpeas in tomato sauce is just amazing! The chicken is cooked with sauce in a pot, absorbing flavors and then turn the chicken into stir-fried and juicy strips in sauce with a little lemon juice….Super-Delicious!
- Prep Time : 5 minutes
- Cook Time : 45 minutes
- Allergens : Gluten Free
- Chicken Drumsticks - 8 (You can also use chicken thighs for this dish - about 3)
- Olive Oil - 4 Tablesoons
- Crushed Garlic - 4 Cloves
- Cumin - 1 Tablespoon
- Tomato Puree - 7oz (2 small boxes)
- Crushed Chili - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Bay leaves - 2
- Red Pepper - 1
- Chickpeas - 10 oz (frozen or canned)
- Lemon Juice - 2 Tablespoons
- Chicken Stock - 2 cups (you can also powdered substitute)
- Parsely - 2 Tablespoons (for decoration)
- Salt - Per Taste
- Ground Black Pepper - Per Taste
- Divide the chicken into thighs and drumsticks and remove the skin.
- Chop the red pepper and place in a bowl.
- Heat in a large & shallow pan, 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- When oil is hot put in the chicken and season with salt.
- Fry for 8 minutes on all sides until nicely browned and then move onto a plate.
- Lower the heat and add the crushed garlic, cumin, tomato paste, chili and chips.
- Stir for a minute or two until everything is united.
- Return the chicken to the pot, add the bay leaves and chicken stock.
- Stir with a wooden spoon while scraping the bottom of the pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to the plate again.
- Add the chickpeas to the pot, bring to a boil and cook for another 5-6 minutes on low heat (if frozen chickpeas and not canned - cook for another 2 minutes)
- Caution! Hot chicken! – take the chicken meat off the bone joints and cut into strips.
- After cooking chickpeas, add the red pepper, lemon juice, parsley (those who wants to), chicken strips and remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
- Cook for another 5 minutes with the lid closed.
It is ready!
Serve over couscous or rice.