Chicken in lemon sauce and ketchup is the name I gave this dish after not succeeding to find it a more fitting name. I tried to combine flavors I like and see what comes out. The result is a chicken with a variety of wonderful flavors and aromas. Chicken in lemon sauce and ketchup is a little sweet, a little sour, a little spicy and very tasty and is especially easy to prepare. Although it has a number of stages in the preparation and it’s not as simple as placing in the oven and coming back when it’s ready - but it’s definitely worth the investment - and it also looks great with a glazing sauce on it.Print Pin Rate
- 8 - 10 thighs are also possible Chicken Drumsticks
- 3 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Worcester Sauce
- 1 Full teaspoon Mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon Crushed Chili
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 4 Tablespoons Water
- 1 - Small Onion
- Clean the chicken from any unwanted pieces, feathers and bones.
- Arrange aluminum foil in a Pyrex pan with high sides.
- Place the drumsticks in pan.
- Preheat the oven to 480 Fahrenheit.
- Put all the ingredients except the chicken in a small pot - and bring to a boil, stirring until a thick and smooth sauce is created.
- Put aside a quarter of the sauce and pour the rest on the chicken and make sure that it is coated on all sides (preferably use your hands - as soon as the sauce’s temperature cools down a bit)
- Cover the dish in foil and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the onion into rings.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and reduce the temperature to 300 Fahrenheit.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the chicken - again - make sure that the chicken is fully covered!
- Sprinkle the onion as a layer over the chicken - and cover again with aluminum foil.
- Put the bird back in the oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the foil and raise the temperature in the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Cook for another 30 minutes (Meanwhile, prepare the side dishes!).
- Remove from the oven, seal with foil again and give it another 15 minutes of recovery out of the oven (this time the steam of the sauce cannot get out because of the foil, and everything gets a little more flavor).
- It’s finally ready, sit back and enjoy!
- Serve over white rice, lots of sauce and boiled onions.