This is a dish of meat with rice and carrots. Others from the area call it Philab, pilaf, Osh Palau, Oshpelo or just simply - Polo.
“True” Bukharan prepare Oshpelo with mutton. The recipe can also be a prepared with chicken for those who want to make Oshpelo chicken.
- Chop the onions.
- If using meat or chicken – cut into cubes (about 2-3 cm)
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Fry the onion until it begins to brown.
- Add the meat or chicken or pullets - fry for about 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add water until everything is covered.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about half an hour to 40 minutes. (If using meat - an hour and a half).
- Make sure the liquid is not gone from the pot and if necessary add a little more.
- Meanwhile, cut the carrots into sticks. It has always been a deterrent in any part of the business. I found two great methods: 1) the “quicker” way (but no less delicious) - scrape the food grater with the largest holes. 2) You can produce a perfect match with the salad choppers cutting. Cut the carrots in half and place it standing. Slowly lower the top of the chopper and make sure the carrot "catches" tight and then lower ... Bam! You have a great carrot sticks.
- Add the carrots to the meat in one layer. Add water to cover the carrots. Cook for another fifteen minutes.
- Add the rice and flatten the layer so it becomes smooth.
- Add boiling water with a tablespoon of salt and take care not to destroy the layer of rice until the rice is covered plus a height of two fingers above the rice.
- Bring the pot to a boil and place on the smallest flame. Wrap the lid and sides of the pan with a towel and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Open the pot and stir the rice gently with a fork.
- Cover the pan and cook for another fifteen minutes. It is important to cook on the smallest flame otherwise the whole thing will burn.
- Open and check the rice is ready.
- If not - give cooking another 10 minutes.
- Once the rice is ready - turn off the heat and set aside for another fifteen minutes. Then turn the pot with its contents on a huge flat plate or serving dish pass.
- Serve with Bukhari salad finely chopped cilantro and a lot of lemon.