Fish and chips - a traditional English dish. Fish coated in a crisp coating and deep-fried with chips. The fish used in this recipe is cod.
- Prep Time : 30 minutes
- Cook Time : 15 minutes
- Cod Fish Fillets - You can buy in any 7/11 - Thaw before use!
- Flour - 1 1/2 Cups
- Cornflour - 1/2 Cup
- Salt - 2 Teaspoons
- Crushed Chili - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Paprika - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Ground Black Pepper - As Needed
- Baking Powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Beer - 330 ml (Goldstar, Heineken or Tuborg)
- Canola Oil - For Deep Frying
- Lightly clean the fish from any bones, leftover edges and everything not fish!
- At this point, dry the fish as much as possible.
- If it’s a long fish – you can and should cut them in half.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, cornstarch, salt, paprika, chili and black pepper.
- Transfer a quarter to a broad plate.
- Coat all the fish in flour on all sides. And place on a plate.
- In a bowl - Add the left over coating and add the baking powder.
- Gradually add the beer to the bowl, stirring with a whisk until a smooth, thick paste (one that does not stay on the whisk - but not watery either!).
- Any beer left? Drink up!
- Heat oil in a deep pot (about 350 Fahrenheit)
- Take all the coated fish fillets – Place them in a bowl of batter and using your hands, make sure they are completely covered!
- When the oil is boiling – a few at a time, place the fish and fry until golden brown.
- Remove to kitchen towels.
Serve with fries, tartar sauce and vegetables.