Chili con carni is a spicy Mexican dish particularly popular because it is both very tasty and very nutritious. There are several versions for making chili, some use “Shpondra” meat, some “goulash”, meat possibilities are endless. In this recipe I will be using ground meat. In my opinion it is the best for this dish, the cheapest and most available.
This is actually my signature dish and there have been times were I was required to make it for friends and family on a constant basis. This recipe is one I learnt from my uncle Haim, who in himself is a great cook. Over the years, this recipe has undergone minor justifications, but remains true to its foundations and my uncle Haim no doubt, deserves all the credit.
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 60 minutes
- Ground Meat - 1 Pound
- Onion - 1 Large
- Spicy Green Pepper - 2 sliced finely (you can replace the regular peppers with hot peppers)
- Red Beans - 2 Cans
- Tomato Puree - 3.5 ounces
- Cumin - ½ Tablespoon
- Sweet Paprika - 1 Tablespoon
- Dry Oregano - 1 Tablespoon
- Salt - As Needed
- Ground Black Pepper - As Needed
- Worcestershire Sauce - A Few Drops (Optional)
- Water - 1 Cup
- Canola Oil
- Finely chop the onion.
- Finely chop the pepper to the same size of the onion, whilst disregarding the head and tail and the insides of the pepper.
- Fry them together in 2-3 tablespoons of canola oil, until the onion has become transparent.
- Add the ground beef and stir whilst frying until the meat changes color completely.
- Add the beans, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
- Add a cup of water – have a good stir and bring to a boil. Now would be a good time to ad that Worcester sauce.
- After boiling, transfer to a low heat until slightly simmering.
- Cook, uncovered and continue stirring the dish every few minutes. Once 20 minutes have passed, you may taste and correct the seasoning as per personal taste.
- After an hour has passed, make sure the liquids have fully evaporated and you are left with a thick stew.
- Well done! You now have a ready chili con carne.
- Serve it with white rice, pasta or simply with some great nachos.