If made properly – at home – with the right ingredients and attention, then kebabs should and will come with the second most compliments at any meal(second to steak of course!). Here's a recipe for homemade kebab that might even catch first place! (Ok, probably not, but it will definitely put up a good fight!) Of course you can also prepare it in a pan on the grill - but there's nothing like straight up barbecued kebab!
- Ground Meat - 2 Pounds
- Purple Onion - 1small - medium
- Red Pepper - 1 (for those who like it hot - fell free to use hot peppers!)
- Cilantro - Half a bunch
- Tomatoes - 1 Medium
- Cumin - 1 Full Tablespoon
- Sweet Paprika - 1 Full Tablespoon
- Salt - Per Taste
- Ground Black Pepper - Per Taste
- Nutmeg - 1/4 Teaspoon
- Soda - 1/5 Cup
- Olive Oil - 3 tablespoons (1.75 Ounces - can also use lamb fat)
- Finely chop the red pepper.
- Finely chop the onion.
- Finely chop the coriander.
- Using a grater – grate the tomatoes (It is best not to keep the skin...)
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix properly (with your hands!).
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- After cooling for at least an hour – take out of the fridge and begin to make patties to the size of your choice. Just be careful not to make them too big, so that they don’t burn on the outside and remain raw on the inside!
- Once all the patties are ready - place them in the fridge until the coals are nice and hot!
- Carefully place the kebabs on the grill and roast them for a few minutes on each side – so they are evenly cooked and not raw inside! (the average time is about 3 minutes on each side for a kebab 1 ½ cm thick)
Serve with spicy tahini and a lot of extras on the side.