Each and every community has its own borekas and no matter what they call it, it will always be pastry stuffed with something. As we all know, the tastiest thing in the world is always going to be puffed pastry filled with pretty much anything! If that something has to be meat, then that is just the icing on the top. Meat borekas is simple to make and obviously very tasty and is perfect for guests, special engagements and also for that simple day in. Preparation is generally pretty long, so do not wait until the last minute.
- Prep Time : 40 minutes
- Cook Time : 40 minutes
- Yield : 2 בורקסים גדולים בערך
- Finely chop the onion
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet.
- Fry the onion until it becomes clear.
- Add the meat and fry, stirring until the meat is changed color.
- Add the parsley, a little thyme, paprika, a dash of nutmeg (just a little), salt and pepper and stir.
- Transfer the pan to a very low heat and cook for another 45 minutes, stir every few minutes. The meat should be dark and most of the liquids should evaporate.
- Once the meat is ready, place it somewhere safe in the kitchen, Not in the fridge!
- Transfer the meat to a bowl, add in 2 eggs and mix nicely.
- When the mixture is ready, slice the pastry on the work surface, and arrange a good portion of the meat across the dough - but not at both ends.
- Leave about 5 cm pastry - both above and below 5 cm.
- Take the side we had left only 5 cm and roll it over the meat - and do another roll, thus this side will be facing down - and in fact we will have a double base.
- Now, With a knife, cut the borekas with the meat away from the rest of the dough.
- Take hold of both sides, press down a bit and fold the dough again to face downwards and then press lightly one more time.
- Repeat these steps until you have run out of either dough or meat.
- Preheat the oven to 356 degrees F turbo mode.
- Place the borekas on baking paper, with a nice amount of distance between eachother. This is because the pastry puffs up and grows.
- Beat the last egg and brush the whole borekas from all sides.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- And place in the oven for 40 minutes – or until the dough raises nicely and there is a nice golden color.
- Serve with mushroom sauce, or just like that.
- Bon Appetit!