This pie I made after I found myself with ground meat and lack of a strong inclination to make meatballs of any kind. So I went with an “experiment” between potatoes and tomato sauce. The sauce enriched by beef stock. The result was a kind of lasagne, but in place of the lasagne sheets i instead went with potatoes – claimed by many to be tastier. You be the judge.
- Allergens : Gluten Free
- Ground Meat - 1 Pound
- Potatoes - 2 Pounds (Approx 8 medium sized)
- Onion - 1 Large
- Crushed Garlic - 2
- Crushed Tomatoes - 28 Ounces
- Beef stock or Red wine - Soup powder is also possible (I wont tell!)
- Paprika - 1 1/2 Tablespoon
- Cumin - Teaspoon
- Nutmeg - A pinch
- Ground Black Pepper - As Needed
- Salt - As Needed
- Coarse Salt - A pinch
- Olive Oil
- Peel the potatoes and cut into slices about half a centimetre thick.
- Chop the onion, finely.
- Heat olive oil in a large, shallow pot.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion.
- Fry until the onion begins to become “clear”.
- Add the crushed garlic and fry for another minute.
- Add the meat and fry, stirring until it changes color completely.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (if you're using beef stock - do not add salt)
- At this point, add the beef stock or wine glass.
- Continue cooking on a high flame, stirring until all the liquid evaporates.
- Add the crushed tomatoes - and continue to cook until everything thickens.
- Take a large baking pan with high sides and grease it well (with canola oil).
- Arrange a dense layer of potato slices.
- Pour over ground beef mixture until all is covered.
- And arrange another layer of dense mixture over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and a little salt.
- Drizzle olive oil.
- Place in the oven at 390 Fahrenheit for an hour or until the potatoes are lightly browned.
There it is - ready! Cut into squares and serve with a nice cold drink and a fresh vegetable salad. Bon Appetit!