This Spanish paella dish is a particularly festive classic consisting of rice, vegetables and delicious meats - seasoned with fine saffron. The original paella is made with seafood and white meats - but we will find the version tailored to the kosher kitchen. This is a great dish that fills up to 5-6 persons family!
Originally paella requires saffron seasoning. Saffron is one of the rarest and most expensive spice in the world - so there's saffron substitute for those who manage to find it.
- Prep Time : 25 minutes
- Cook Time : 35 minutes
- Round Rice - 14 oz
- Chorizo's - 14 oz (can be bought frozen at the super market)
- Chicken Pullets - 14 oz
- Kabanos - 3 Sticks
- Red Peppers - 2
- Green Peas - 1/2 Cup frozen
- Crushed Garlic - 4 Cloves
- Purple Onion - 1 Medium
- Sweet Paprika - 1 Tablespoon
- Saffron - 10 Strings (or 1 teaspoon cumin)
- Chicken Stock - Liter (You can also substitute powder - or boiling water)
- Salt - Per Taste
- Ground Black Pepper - Per Taste
- Olive Oil - 2 Tablespoons
- Canola Oil - A small amount
- Rinse the rice nder water and leave to dry.
- Heat a large pan with oil and cook the chorizo's from all sides
- Once the chorizo's are cooked, remove them from the pan and let them cool down a bit. Then cut them in to nice sized pieces and place them in a bowl.
- Cut the kabanos to slices of 1cm thick and mix them in with the chorizos
- Cut the pullet into coarse cubes
- chop the onion
- cut the red peppers into cubes
- Boil the chicken stock or water with saffron - so it will be ready when we need it in a few minutes. Saffron colors begin to secrete into the liquid - This is a good thing!
- In the same pan that was used for the chorizos - add oil and fry some onions.
- Fry the onions until they become "clear".
- Add the pullets and continue frying until they get color from all sides.
- Add the kabanos and red peppers and continue frying with a continual stir.
- Add the green peas.
- Add the salt, the black pepper and the paprika.
- Sprinkle the round rice over everything.
- Pour in the chicken stock or the boiling water and then leave it - dont touch and dont mix!
- Cover the pan with a lid.
- Lower the flame to a minimum for 25 minutes.
Thats it, ready and super-delicious!
Serve straight from the pan to the plate! No need for extras - this dish speaks for itself!