For the Dough
- 2 1/4 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Warm Water
- About half a spoon approx 0.25 oz Dry yeast
- Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Sugar
- Teaspoon Salt
For the Filling!
- 200 גרם Ground Meat
- 2 Can - Frozen or Canned approx 7 oz Chickpeas
- 1 - Medium sized Onion
- 1 Clove Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Sweet Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- A Pinch Nutmeg
- A Pinch Crushed Chili
- As Needed Salt
- As Needed Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
For the Sambusak
- 1 Egg
- Generously Sesame
Lets Start with the Dough!
- Put the water in a bowl - Add the yeast and mix with a spoon.
- Add the baking powder and sugar – now stir.
- Let the mixture stand for 2-3 minutes to get started and add a cup of flour and mix.
- Add the remaining flour and salt and begin kneading by hand.
- Continue until we have a stable and flexible dough. If too dry - add a splash of water. If wet - add a touch of flour.
- When the dough is stabilized – place it in a bowl and cover with a towel.
- Leave it to rise for two hours.
After an hour of rising - start on the meat chickpeas filling...
- Prepare the chickpeas: If it's canned - wash and drain well. If frozen - prepare under the instructions on the bag and then drain.
- Transfer the chickpeas into a food processor - and grind until you receive a coarse texture. Not flour!
- Chop the onion.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion and fry until the onion becomes translucent and starts to brown around the edges.
- Add the crushed garlic and fry for half a minute.
- Add the ground beef and fry until it changes color.
- Add the spices and fry for another minute
- Add the ground chickpeas and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Mix well and make sure that everything is united.
- Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the filling to a bowl.
The dough has risen and the meat has cooled down - lets start making some "sumbusak"!
- Mix the filling with a fresh egg.
- Flour the surface - roll out the dough on it (not all at once - each time one-third or half) thickness of 2 mm.
- Cut into circles with (diameter 10 cm or so).
- Put a tablespoon and a half of filling in each circle - Fold the circle in half and seal the edges (like Empanadas - see the photos above).
- Place each formed sambusak in a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Fill all the circles. If any dough remains, make a few more circles and fill them all up until the filling has finished!
- After we have finished preparing all the sambusak – we place in a turned off over for another 20 minutes for a second rising.
- Take them out – Coat each sambusak with egg and cover with sesame seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Put the Sambusak in the oven for 20 minutes - until browned.
- That's it, all done!
- Serve it with a nice chopped or green salad....