Shepherd's Pie is a traditional, tasty and filling Irish pie. Previously, there were shepherds out in the Irish field - and for lunch they prepared a pie filled with whatever they found in the field and so came to the world stage the famous and super delicious shepherds pie. When it comes to this dish, there is no need for fancy plating, simply place on the table, hand out the spoons and try to grab something before its all finished!
- Prep Time :40 minutes
- Cook Time :30 minutes
- Minced Meat - 1 lbs
- Potatoes - 1 lbs
- Carrot - 1
- Root Parsley - 1
- Onion - 1
- Sweetcorn - 1/2 Cup
- Green Peas - 1/2 Cup
- Salt - Per taste
- Ground Black Pepper - Per taste
- Cumin - Per taste
- Sweet Paprika - 1 full tablespoon
- Nutmeg - A pinch
- Beef Stock - 1/2 cup (or powder substitute)
- Worcester Sauce - 1 teaspoon
- Butter - 4 tablespoons (flavored butter or margarine)
- Canola Oil - 4 tablespoons
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into cubes and place into the water
- Boil the water and cook until the potatoes are soft - when you check it with a knife and it goes through all the way - then its ready
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking, cut the carrots, the parsley root and the onions into small cubes
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan (you can use less - its up to you)
- Fry the onion, carrot and root for 10 minutes on a medium heat until they become soft
- Now add in the sweetcorn and peas and mix
- Add the meat and fry whilst mixing - until the dish is no longer "pink"
- Add the spices!
- Add the Worcester sauce and half a cup of the beef stock and mix, without a lid, on a low flame for 10 minutes
- When the potatoes are ready - add the salt (per taste), add the butter and mash everything into a niece potato mash!
- Taste the mashed potatoes and correct the seasoning.
- Grease up a Pyrex pan (not a big one) and place the friend meat and vegetables on one flat line
- Now pour the mashed potatoes on top to make one layer and with the help of a fork, shape it up nicely
- Place the dish in the oven at 395F until the top begins to brown (approx 30 minutes) - In the last 2-3 minutes, place the top grill function on in the oven to give the puree that extra nice brown touch
Simple as that! Enjoy!
Serve with spoons and eat straight out of the pan!