Shoulder is a piece of meat that loves to cook for a long time. The same goes for root vegetables and therefore their combination is perfect. Beef shoulder with root vegetables is a delicious, filling and warming dish – so it is perfect for those winter days and especially Shabbat. This recipe uses beef stock, but I am aware that this is not readily available in every household and therefore you may use a powdered substitute of beef stock (don’t worry, I won’t tell!)...
- Prep Time : 30 minutes
- Cook Time : 3h 30 min
- Shoulder of beef - 2 Pounds - cut into cubes (like Goulash)
- Onion - 1 Large
- Carrots - 3
- Potatoes - 4 Medium
- Parsley - 2
- Mushrooms - 7-8 (Optional)
- Beef Stock - Half a liter of boiling (or half a liter of boiling water with beef stock powder)
- Salt - Per Taste
- Ground Black Pepper - Per Taste
- Bay Leaves - 4
- Thyme - 2 stalks fresh or dried thyme
- Flour - 2 Full Tablespoons
- Canola Oil
- Place the beef cubes in a bowl that can fit them all.
- Sprinkle the flour, lots of black pepper and salt.
- With your hands, massage the meat very well, until the whole piece is fully coated.
- Peel the carrots and parsley and cut into chunks.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into thick slices.
- Cut the onion coarsely.
- In a large saucepan, heat canola oil.
- When the oil is hot – Put in the beef shoulder cubes and fry, stirring until all the meat changes color from all sides and is no longer red.
- Remove the meat to a bowl (not the same bowl used before – it is very unhealthy to mix cooked and raw meats)
- Add a little canola oil if needed - and put the carrots, parsley, potatoes and onions.
- Fry, stirring, until the onion becomes translucent and begins to brown slightly around the edges.
- Return the meat to the pot and stir.
- Add the beef - and stir with a wooden spoon and scrape all the removed sediments that have stuck to the bottom.
- Add bay leaves, black pepper and thyme.
- Bring to a boil.
- When the pot is boiling - Reduce to a low heat.
- Cook on a low heat for two hours.
- Open and Mix (for those who want to - add mushrooms at this point).
- Close the pan and cook for another hour and a half.
Well done! Its ready!
Serve with white rice......Enjoy!