Stuffed vegetables are delicious, nutritious, and very easy to make. Basically you can stuff almost any vegetable or fruit, here I will give the classic fillings for vegetables, but the technique is similar to any vegetable. Do not be afraid from the length of the recipe - it's because there are several types of fillings, but the preparation and cooking are so easy, it’s not clear enough why we don’t prepare stuffed vegetables every week!
- Prep Time :60 minutes
- Cook Time :60 minutes
- Zucchini - Round!
- Onion - Large
- Peppers - Red
- Rice - 2/3 a cup
- Ground Meat - 1 Pound
- Cilantro - a bunch - chopped
- Paprika - As Needed
- Cumin - As Needed
- Baharat - As Needed
- Cinamon - A pinch
- Salt - As Needed
- Ground Black Pepper - As Needed
- Crushed Tomatoes - 28 Ounces canned
- Lemon Juice - From whole lemons
- Sugar - Teaspoon
- Canola Oil
Preparing the filling
- Rinse the rice, drain and place in a bowl.
- Add the ground beef.
- Add the chopped coriander.
- Add the spices (paprika, cumin, Bharat, salt and pepper) to taste. It is not recommended to put a lot of Bharat, and just put a little cinnamon. It is designed to enhance flavors, not be felt too much.
- Mix everything nicely (with your hands of course!)
- That’s it, the filling is ready.
Preparing stuffed vegetables
- Using a knife remove the head of the pepper - and set aside.
- With your fingers, remove the insides and white stripes on the sides.
- Put the filling in the pepper - without pressing in too much, but it should be filled to the top.
- Cover with the head of the pepper.
- Using a knife remove the head of the zucchini.
- With a Parisian scoop, empty the contents of the zucchini – there should remain about half cm of zucchini shell.
- Keep the contents of the zucchini we removed in a bowl - it will be used for the sauce.
- Fill the zucchini with the stuffing all the way - without pressing.
- Close with the head of the zucchini.
- Take the onion - chopped his head and bottom - and make a vertical incision down the middle - place on a plate and place in the microwave for 4-5 minutes. (Or in boiling water for that time)
- After it cools a bit - separate the layers.
- We now make a kind of sausage onion filling - do not press.
- Place a layer at the beginning - and roll - not by force.
- Making the sauce
- Heat canola oil in the largest pot you have.
- When the oil is boiling - very carefully place in the crushed tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the zucchini contents previously emptied.
- Add salt, pepper and sugar.
- Stir and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Turn off the fire.
Cooking the Stuffed vegetables
Fill the pot and make sure everything is very crowded - but not touching.
- Place the onions with the open part facing down (or to the side of the pot)
- The sauce should be as high as two-thirds filled. If missing - add a little water.
- Add the lemon juice carefully - but not in the stuffed vegetables – in the sauce.
- Cover the pot, turn on the fire - and bring to a boil.
- Now there are two options: the first - lower the heat and cook for an hour and a half. Second - (my favorite) to heat the oven to 200 degrees - put in an hour with the lid, and after an hour remove the lid to cook for another 20 minutes for browning.
You made it! Your stuffed vegetables are ready. True, there are a lot of steps, but you must admit that it is easy to make!
Serve over white rice or yellow rice or couscous, or on its own. Anything goes.