For the Rice
- 1 Cup Round grain rice for sushi
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 3 Spoons Rice vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Optional Sake
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Best Available Seaweed
- Be sure to buy a mat which is round on one side and flat on the other. Rolling mat
Best sushi additions
- Smoked Salmon
Preparation of rice for sushi
- Sushi rice is different in form and in preparation from regular rice, so pay attention to the instructions - which are not complicated, but important. Contrary to popular belief that the sushi rice should be sticky at the end of cooking - real sushi rice should end up just like regular rice. The stickiness we will be caused by the sushi vinegar.
- Wash thoroughly in a colander. When I write thoroughly - the intention is for the water to come out on the other side clean. It will take a few minutes - and definitely more time than regular rice. But this is an important step to clear the extra starches and dirt stuck to it.
- Drain the water and wait for it to stop leaking and in fact almost completely dry.
- Boil a pot with a lid and half a cup of water.
- When the water is boiling put in the rice, making sure every bit of rice will enter the water.
- Close the lid (no salt, no oil - just like it is).
- Lower the fire comlpetely and wait 16 minutes flat.
- At the end of 16 minutes - turn off the heat, take the cover off a few seconds to release the initial steam - and close the lid again for 3 minutes (without a flame).
- Meanwhile, prepare the vinegar
Methods of making sushi vinegar
- Place the rice vinegar in a small pot with salt and pepper.
- Light a small fire under the pot and heat while rotating and rocking of the pot gently - until the salt and sugar dissolve into liquids.
- As soon as this happens - turn off the flame.
- Now you have Sushi Vinegar.
- Now you must wait until the rice and vinegar have cooled to room temperature.
- With the help of a wooden spoon - move the rice into a bowl and pour the vinegar over it.
- Mix well!
- Preparing the vegetables
- .Vegetables for sushi should be thin and long
- Carrots - Peel and cut- to the size of matchsticks (2-3 mm maximum width).
- Cucumber - leaving the shell (make sure its properly washed) and cut into long matchsticks. (2-3 mm maximum width)..
- Avocado - cut into long sticks a half CM wide.
- Smoked salmon - Cut the smoked salmon into half a cm wide strips.
- !Making the roll
- First of all - organize a bowl of cold water.
- Lay the Sushi mat lengthwise (refer to picture)
- Lay a piece of Nuri Seaweed on top - rough side up.
- Dip your hands with water, and take a handful of rice.
- Press the sushi rice to a thin layer about 3 mm.
- Repeat this process until all (part the top 2 cm) is covered in rice.
- Begin to place the vegetables (1 cm from the start) along the rice.
Now begin to roll using this method:
- Roll a quarter - then tighten. Roll another quarter - then tighten - and one more time.
- Now all the rice should be rolled out and should remain the rest of acceleration not covered in rice.
- Dip two fingers into water and spread the water along the remaining rice - then close up.
- You now have sushi to be proud of!
- With the help of a sharp knife - cut of the edges of the sushi and then slice into 8 nice and even pieces.
- For those who enjoy some extra flavor - serve with a side of soy sauce and a bush of wassabi.
- Bon Apetit!