Sushi is the most controversial food out there. Some might say that this is much ado about nothing, and some will say it is very tasty. One thing they all agree - it's considerably expensive. I think that the price is based on the hype and buzz more than anything else! Sushi is really tasty, healthy and nutritious - but is considered a luxury food.
But once you learn how to make sushi at home - the price of a sushi roll outside will be that much more annoying! So I picked up the gauntlet and I post you my sushi project. Here I give a recipe for sushi - step by step, in order to make sushi like champions. In this article I will give you a basic sushi recipe - that is a regular roll, and then I'll occasionally upgrade with tempura, inside out, Japanese omelettes etc. So please, follow along and you will find great recipes for sushi - that is actually not difficult at all to make!
- Prep Time : 60 minutes
- Yield : 4 rols
- Allergens : Gluten Free
- For the Rice
- Round grain rice for sushi - 1 Cup
- Water - 1 1/2 Cups
- Rice vinegar
- Rice vinegar - 3 Spoons
- Sake - 2 Teaspoons (Optional)
- Sugar - 1 1/2 Teaspoons
- Salt - 1 Teaspoon
- Seaweed - Best Available
- Rolling mat - Be sure to buy a mat which is round on one side and flat on the other.
- Best sushi additions
- Smoked Salmon
Preparation of rice for sushi
Sushi rice is different in form and in preparation from regular rice, so pay attention to the instructions - which are not complicated, but important. Contrary to popular belief that the sushi rice should be sticky at the end of cooking - real sushi rice should end up just like regular rice. The stickiness we will be caused by the sushi vinegar.
- Wash thoroughly in a colander. When I write thoroughly - the intention is for the water to come out on the other side clean. It will take a few minutes - and definitely more time than regular rice. But this is an important step to clear the extra starches and dirt stuck to it.
- Drain the water and wait for it to stop leaking and in fact almost completely dry.
- Boil a pot with a lid and half a cup of water.
- When the water is boiling put in the rice, making sure every bit of rice will enter the water.
- Close the lid (no salt, no oil - just like it is).
- Lower the fire comlpetely and wait 16 minutes flat.
- At the end of 16 minutes - turn off the heat, take the cover off a few seconds to release the initial steam - and close the lid again for 3 minutes (without a flame).
- Meanwhile, prepare the vinegar
Methods of making sushi vinegar
- Place the rice vinegar in a small pot with salt and pepper.
- Light a small fire under the pot and heat while rotating and rocking of the pot gently - until the salt and sugar dissolve into liquids.
- As soon as this happens - turn off the flame.
- Now you have Sushi Vinegar.
- Now you must wait until the rice and vinegar have cooled to room temperature.
- With the help of a wooden spoon - move the rice into a bowl and pour the vinegar over it.
- Mix well!
Preparing the vegetables
.Vegetables for sushi should be thin and long
- Carrots - Peel and cut- to the size of matchsticks (2-3 mm maximum width).
- Cucumber - leaving the shell (make sure its properly washed) and cut into long matchsticks. (2-3 mm maximum width)..
- Avocado - cut into long sticks a half CM wide.
- Smoked salmon - Cut the smoked salmon into half a cm wide strips.
!Making the roll
- First of all - organize a bowl of cold water.
- Lay the Sushi mat lengthwise (refer to picture)
- Lay a piece of Nuri Seaweed on top - rough side up.
- Dip your hands with water, and take a handful of rice.
- Press the sushi rice to a thin layer about 3 mm.
- Repeat this process until all (part the top 2 cm) is covered in rice.
- Begin to place the vegetables (1 cm from the start) along the rice.
- Now begin to roll using this method:
- Roll a quarter - then tighten. Roll another quarter - then tighten - and one more time.
- Now all the rice should be rolled out and should remain the rest of acceleration not covered in rice.
- Dip two fingers into water and spread the water along the remaining rice - then close up.
- You now have sushi to be proud of!
- With the help of a sharp knife - cut of the edges of the sushi and then slice into 8 nice and even pieces.
- For those who enjoy some extra flavor - serve with a side of soy sauce and a bush of wassabi.
- Bon Apetit!