This mushroom gnocchi is my special version of the classic gnocchi. No more potatoes and flour - but gnocchi with a refined taste of porcini mushrooms - you definitely get a great celebration of tastes in your mouth!
- Cook the potatoes until they soften, when they are ready, mash into puree.
- Meanwhile, soak the porcini mushrooms for 20 minutes in boiling water. Drain and chop in a food processor.
- Add 2oz melted butter, mushrooms, salt and egg yolks to the puree.
- Add the 2 cups of the flour gradually and mix.
- Stir until the dough is smooth. (Avoid of potato chuncks).
- Boil water with salt in a large saucepan.
- On a floured surface, roll the gnocchi into thin “sausage” type pieces - 2 inch thickness and cut to the desired size. (I am in favor of small gnocchi!).
- Add flour from time to time in order to work with the dough.
- Throw the gnocchi into the boiling water until they float (about 3 minutes, depending on the size) and place in a bowl with a slotted spoon.
Best served with a choice of cream sauces like salsa rosa sauce with artichoke cream sauce with cauliflower cream and lemon or olive oil and herbs.