After an influx of tomato based sauces, such as the arriabata, the pomodoro and bolognaise sauce, I thought it was about time I to place the tomatoes on the side. If there is any sauce that can and does rival the tomato sauce’s popularity for pasta, it is the mushroom sauce. Alfredo sauce alone is purely based on cream and nothing else. When speaking about Mushroom Alfredo Sauce, we are in fact speaking about cream and mushroom based sauce. By the way, because the essence of this sauce is still cream, it may be best not to overpower the amount of mushrooms you use, but instead gently combine them.
- Prep Time : 5 minutes
- Cook Time : 25 minutes
- Allergens : Gluten Free
- Finely chop the onion.
- Finely chop the mushrooms (half cm in size)
- Heat the oil or butter in a medium sized saucepan (if you choose to use butter, place afew drops of oil so that butter does not burn)
- Place the onion in the pan and fry until it becomes transparent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring until the mushrooms draws all the juices and shrink.
- Shake the cream containers and then add to the pan.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste and then mix.
- Bring everything as close to a boil as possible (just enough for it to be bubbling)
- Reduce the heat to a minimum and cook for about 10 minutes until the sauce is reduced by atleast a third in amount.
- Serve over fettucini pasta or even oysters!
- Bon Appetit!