Cajun is in fact a mixture of spices that comes from the area of New Orleans and has mostly good things (paprika powder, onion and garlic, thyme and oregano, etc.) that can be purchased in the supermarket or spices stores - its slightly spicy, very tasty, and does wonders to chicken. Pasta with Cajun chicken is a wonderfully rich pasta dish with lots of spices and peppers - after you’ve made this dish, you’ll find yourself thinking how you’ve had anything else up until this day!
For those who keep kosher: There is cream in this recipe - I made the recipe with substitutions (soy milk cream) and the result was excellent.
- For the Chicken:
- Chicken Breast - 1 Whole - with no fat or bones
- Cajun - 2 Tablespoons
- Canola Oil - 1 Tablespoon
- For the Sauce:
- Peppers - One color or two colors - cut into strips
- Onion - 1 medium - cut into half slices - separated
- Crushed Garlic - 2 Cloves
- Salt - Per Taste
- Ground Black Pepper - Per Taste
- Cajun - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Sweet Paprika - ½ teaspoon - the brave are invited to use hot paprika
- Sweet Cream - 32% or more. 250 ml - you can substitute vegetable
- Cooking cream - 15% - 250 ml - you can substitute vegetable
- Cornstarch - 1 Full Tablespoon
- Olive Oil - 3 Tablespoons
- Pasta - Fettuccine, pene, Pefionim, pappardelle, tagliatelle
It is advisable to start heating water for pasta now - the water takes time to boil and the sauce will be ready along with the pasta.
Preparing the chicken
- Clean the chicken breast and cut it into cubes (at least 1-2 cm)
- Place the chicken in a bowl - Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of Cajun and rub with your hands until all chicken pieces are fully coated.
- Heat a large, shallow pan with a tablespoon of canola oil.
- Fry the chicken until it is browned on all sides.
- Remove to a bowl (a different one as to the one that was used earlier – never mix live and cooked chicken!)
Put the pasta into the boiling water according to the preparation instructions.
Now for the sauce
- Heat the pan that was used for the chicken.
- Add the olive oil and heat.
- When the oil is hot - fry the onion for 2 minutes.
- Add the peppers, half a teaspoon of Cajun, half a teaspoon of paprika, salt, pepper and crushed garlic.
- Cook - stirring, until they are soft.
- Add the cream and bring to a boil.
- Add the cornstarch and mix very well.
- Cook until all thickens (5 minutes), continually stirring.
By this point, the pasta should be ready. If not, then wait a short while until it is ready and drain it. . .
- Add the now ready pasta with the chicken to the pan and stir.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 3 minutes.
There you go, its ready!
You can decorate this dish with spring onions and a bit of Cajun!