Broccoli tempura is great as a snack, a refreshment and even as an extra-large meal. The tempura gives the broccoli a nice and crispy coating that will make anyone eat these all up within seconds!
- Prep Time : 40 minutes
- Cook Time : 5 minutes
- For the Broccoli
- Broccoli - 15 oz bag - bought at any 7/11
- Water - For cooking
- Lemon Juice - 1 Tablespoon
- Salt - 1 Teaspoon
- Water - Very cold with ice cubes
- For the Tempura
- Flour - 1 1/2 Cup
- Cornflour - 1 Tablespoon
- Drinking Soda - 1 Teaspoon
- Paprika - 1 Tablespoon
- Garlic - 1 Teaspoon
- Salt - Generously
- Ground Black Pepper - Per taste
- Oregano - 1 Teaspoon
- Water - 1 1/2 Cup - Very cold!
- For the Frying!
- Canola Oil - For the Deep-frying!
- Boil a pot of water, salt and lemon juice.
- When the water is boiling put the broccoli, bring to a boil and cook for another 3 minutes in boiling water.
- Meanwhile, prepare a bowl of water with lots of ice cubes.
- Remove the broccoli to a bowl of water to stop the cooking.
- Drain the water from the bowl - and shake well and dry the broccoli as much as possible.
- Mix the tempura ingredients with a whisk until everything turns into a smooth batter which is very thick.
- Boil the oil to high heat (350 F)
- And now, you need to move fast - Dip the broccoli into the tempura but take care not to remain there a moment beyond the bare minimum. Preferably dip it upside down - otherwise tempura placed between the flowers and that's not good.
- Immediately place in the deep oil for 5 minutes until well browned.
- Remove to paper towels.
It is ready!
Serve with spicy mayonnaise or a good tahini.