Cannelloni is a type of pasta, round and big and looks like a pipe, making it excellent for filling. Cannelloni stuffed with spinach and cheese filling is just great and is perfect for béchamel sauce (milk and butter based sauce). Béchamel sauce recipe can be read here. Cannelloni filled with spinach and cheese is just a wonderful dish for any meal!
- Wash the spinach very well and remove the tough ends and leftover stalk.
- Cut it rough (could and should rip with your hands!)
- Heat the butter in a large skillet.
- When butter is melted put the garlic in and fry for half a minute.
- Add spinach leaves (it looks like a lot - but fried spinach shrinks) and fry for 2-3 minutes until everything has shrunk and softened.
- Remove from the heat and transfer everything to a large bowl.
- Add the ricotta - and with the help of a coarse grater, grate the mozzarella.
- Mix very well with a spoon until everything melts from the heat of the spinach and becomes one big delicious mix.
- Wait for everything to cool down.
- Meanwhile prepare the béchamel sauce.
- When everything is at a normal temperature and not burning - Fill the cannelloni gently and carefully, so it doesn’t break!
- Arrange the cannelloni neatly in a high sided baking tray.
- Pour the béchamel sauce all over and place in the oven at 350 Fahrenheit for at least 25 minutes – until we see the béchamel begin to brown.
That’s it……all that’s left now is to sit back and enjoy!
Serve with green salad or Greek salad.