Spinach and cheese stuffed pastry is simply amazing. Crispy, tasty and easy to make. My wife learnt this dish from a friend and we chose to "upgrade" it slightly with the spinach which gives it a great twist. Baked puff pastry with spinach and cheese is an excellent pastry side dish or even as s family dinner alongside a plate of vegetables and dips. Easy to prepare - insanely delicious.
- Prep Time :15 minutes
- Cook Time :45 minutes
- Put the frozen spinach medallions in the microwave for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the spinach into a colander and squeeze it well, making sure that the end product is fully dry spinach - Place the spinach aside to cool and continue to drip.
- Grate the lovely cheeses on a coarse grater.
- Mix the spinach and cheese.
- Line a mold with high margins (size of about 25 * 20 - 1 cm to either side is ok) with baking paper.
- Place on a layer of baking paper a sheet of puff pastry - making sure the sides will be covered as well.
- Pour in the filling of spinach and cheese.
- Place another layer of puff pastry over the filling and connect the ends.
- Using a knife - Slice a grid on the top layer of the pastry (be careful - do not get to the bottom layer)
- Beat together the cream, eggs and oil.
- Pour the mixture over the pastry - and wait for the liquid to seep in.
- Place in the oven at 350 F for 45 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven and give them about 15 minutes to cool down.
Simple as that......Enjoy!
Go over the crosses with a knife, dividing the pieces for guests. The pastry should be a little bit wet. Do not be alarmed if there is some liquid.