Leek patties are rich and delicious. Suitable for a light dinner or appetizer for a dinner party. Serve at every opportunity! This flagship dish comes from my wife's grandmother in Bulgaria - the country of origin of the leek patties.
- Prep Time : 45 minutes
- Cook Time : 10 minutes
- Yield : 20 - 25 Patties
- Peel one layer of the leek and wash well.
- Cut the leek to circles.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into cubes.
- Put the leek and the potato in the pot.
- Add water to cover by 2 cm.
- Bring to a boil and cook over medium- low heat for 25 minutes until the potatoes and leek become really soft.
- Drain the potatoes and leek in a colander. Let them cool a few minutes and let the water drip out.
- When dried – place it into the food processor and grind it all the way until fully mashed.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the spices, salt and pepper and stir. Taste and adjust the seasoning. The mixture should be a little salty.
- Add the flour and the egg and stir well.
- Heat some oil (about half inches) in a large skillet.
- When the oil is boiling – place a tablespoon of the mix into the oil – one at a time. Repeat the process until there is no place in the pan.
- When the patties browned on one side - Carefully turn. Please note! patties will be soft in the center. It's OK - just flip carefully.
- Fry until brown on the other side and transfer to paper towels.
- If the oil level falls - add more oil.
Can be served hot straight from the pan, it is possible to cool overnight in the refrigerator and serve cold the next day (it's even more delicious).
*Serve with sour cream.