There's nothing like pizza- fact! It's true that the original Italian pizza is thin based and crispy, but thick based pizza - that's a completely different ball game. It's named after it's origin - pan pizza - the pan works as a guide for the shape of the pizza, so it shapes nicely and doesn't "spill" the sides.
It will take a bit of time (10 hours!) to prepare and bake - but it's definitely worth it!
- Prep Time : 9h 30 min
- Cook Time : 12 minutes
- Yield : 2 Pizzas
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, yeast and the oil
- Add a cup of water during mixing - if needed add another 3 tablespoons of water
- Add the salt and knead again with your hands until the dough comes out nice and smooth
- Transfer the dough to a bowl, cover with nylon and leave it to rise for 4 hours at least in a "cooler" place (for example in an oven that's not turned on). The longer you leave the dough to rise, the softer and airier it will be. 4 hours will do the job - for optimal outcome go for 8!
- Sprinkle flour over the dough and place on a smooth and flat "work area"
- Split the dough into two pieces (unless you want the dough to be extra thick - in which case keep it in one whole piece)
- Take a round "mold" and grease it with oil on all sides
- Take the dough and press down on the mold. Cover with nylon again and let it rise for another 1 1/2 hours
- Whilst the dough is rising - we make the pizza sauce (you're more than welcome to use ready made pizza sauce)
- Heat the oven to 450F - if you have an oven with the option to heat from the bottom - use it.
- Flatten the dough again to the sides.
- Cover the dough with sauce all over - except the sides.
- Grate the cheese and sprinkle over the sauce and then sprinkle over any toppings you may want.
- Place in the oven for 12 minutes until the cheese and dough goldens.
- Remove the pizza from the oven, place on a cutting board and enjoy serving!
Sit back, relax and enjoy this home made pizza!