Looking for a delicious and healthy meal? Spinach and butternut squash pie is a colorful, delicious, healthy family meal that suits both the whole family and when entertaining.
- Cut the squash into large chunks and cook it with water and salt until fully softened.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onion in canola oil.
- When the onion is golden, add the spinach and steam it gradually (draining the fluid from the pan occasionally).
- Drain the spinach in a colander.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add egg and three heaping tablespoons of flour, and stir.
- When the butternut is soft, mash it to puree and add the crushed garlic, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Spread the green mixture in the tray.
- Optional – smear a layer of ricotta over the green peppers.
- Spread the orange mashed potatoes over the green layer.
- Bake at 350 Fahrenheit for about an hour, until the green layer has brown and the orange puree has dried.
Well done, it’s ready!